For the second time in just over a week, the Croton Fire Department responded to a gas leak at Carrie E. Tompkins Elementary School on Gerstein Street, evacuating nearby homes after a gas main was again struck by a contractor.
At 1:25 p.m. on Saturday, fire responders responded to a call for a break, which Chief John Munson established at the scene was between the street main and the curb valve shutoff to the elementary school. It's "a high-pressure main that feeds the school," officials said.
Police and fire volunteers worked to evacuate nearby homes, and officials contacted Con Edison to shut the gas off. By 2:19 p.m., the situation was considered under control, with roads reopened and people allowed to return to their homes on the block.
At 2:30 p.m. on August 9, eight days prior, the Croton FD and police responded to a main line break at the school after a contractor doing work here struck the line. Multiple homes were evacuated until the gas levels were deemed safe.